Today United Lutheran Church in Swiss Alp (outside of Schulenburg, just south of LaGrange), the westernmost congregation in our synod, celebrated 145 years (1867). United Lutheran Church’s history goes way back to the 1860’s when pastor C. C. Rudi moved from Serbin to Swiss Alp, gathering German immigrants together for worship and schooling. He taught children out of his home. They organized and built a church in 1867. By 1889 it was too small, so they built a new building for the unbelievable price of… $975. Sixty years later, when we were fighting the Germans in WWII, the transepts were added.
United Lutheran Church merged from 3 churches in 1967: Philadelphia Evangelical Lutheran Church, Black Jack Springs Evangelical Lutheran Church, and Salem Lutheran Church of Freyburg. They have been served by Lemae Higgs (present), Arlyn Hausmann, Walt Hildebrandt, Clements Richards and many others. They have produced two pastors, Clarence Hagens (retired, but serving as a visitation pastor in Shiner) and Brad Otto (Messiah, Cypress). They are supporting Jen Kindsvatter through seminary.
They support Dr. Don Just as he teaches in seminaries at Papau New Guinea, Taiwan. They also support Dr. Murray Greenwood, pastor and pediatrician in Ecuador, and are considering adding Dr. Jon Fielder, long term medical missionary to Malawi to this list.