Slavonic traders migrated here in the 7th century, calling it Lipsk (lime trees). Leipzig was given municipal status (founded/chartered) in 1165.
The tower is the the old city hall, built in 1556.
1632. Notice St. Thomas Church on the left and market square on the right.
Here’s a look facing the city hall tower from 1740:
Zooming in on the square, this photo is a woodcut from 1800. The city hall tower is on the right:
In 1925, this underground was built. The underground is not a subway, but an underground marketplace. It was built because the Leipzig Trade Fair was out of space. In 1919 there were over 2,000 exhibitors. So in May of 1924, excavation began. It opened Spring of 1925. 45×98 meters, it had room for 175 exhibitors.
In 2005 the underground marketplace was removed to make room for an Underground Subway stop, which was completed last year, 2013.
1936. The underground is in the foreground.
Here’s how the square looks today, June 16, 2014: