This is the largest Protestant church in Germany, built by the Prussian Kings. The current building was finished in 1905. It’s actually not a cathedral, as it was never the seat of the bishop. The Lutheran bishop is based at St. Mary’s Church and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.

20140618-200051-72051977.jpg

20140618-200052-72052801.jpg

20140618-200051-72051091.jpg

20140618-200053-72053643.jpg

20140618-200055-72055392.jpg

20140618-200054-72054477.jpg

In the basement are many graves, including that of Friedrich Wilhelm.

20140618-200154-72114803.jpg

20140618-200153-72113810.jpg

20140618-200152-72112077.jpg

20140618-200152-72112968.jpg

20140618-200154-72114655.jpg

20140618-200156-72116250.jpg

In 1944 the dome was destroyed in allied bombing. Here is the organ with the rubble of the dome on the floor. A temporary roof was assembled. In 1975 reconstruction of the dome and refurbishing of the interior began, not to be finished until 1993!

20140618-202945-73785313.jpg