The Bavarian King chose Catholic, and so Munich is Catholic to this day. Inside the old city walls there were no Protestant Churches allowed. So, just outside the old city walls, on the four sides of the city, are St. Matthew’s, St. Mark’s, St. Luke’s and St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Churches.
You can see the tower of St. Matthew’s just outside the city gate, through the arch (Sendlinger Tor).
St. Matthew’s has an interesting history. The church was blown up (or bulldozed) by Hitler in 1938 when he blew up the synagogue. The Bavarian Church refused to go along with the United Reich Church that Hitler had “proposed.” The bishop was also put under house arrest.
After the war the church was rebuilt in a modern/contemporary (early 50’s) theme. Pastors Allison and Janning Hoenen and their delightful children showed us around. Allison, a Fullbright Scholar, grew up at Christ the King, attended Rice, Yale and Philadelphia Seminary. She married a Bavarian she met at Philly. Janning directs the Oecumenicum (more on that tomorrow).
The congregation showed signs of life and vitality. http://stmatthaeus.cmsoffice.de/index.php?id=24 This is the bishop’s church. There were about 250 at the Sunday evening (6pm) service. Tomorrow they are hosting an ecumenical meeting (together4europe.org)