For the first time in many years, some Gulf Coast Synod seminary students were honored to receive full-tuition, 4-year scholarships. We celebrated with Bishop Eaton, the 65 synod bishops, seven seminary presidents, some churchwide staff and 56 scholarship recipients, the most ever. Over $2 million was distributed this round, from the $56.4M fund. $15M has been given in scholarships to date.
We currently have about 18 people in some stage of Word and Sacrament candidacy, and four in TEEM (Theological Education for Emerging Ministries).
This year, Gulf Coast recipients (and some friend of the Gulf Coast Synod) are:
- Cody Miller, from Kinsmen, Houston is studying at Wartburg.
- Cassandra Nagle, from House of Prayer, Houston is studying at the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago.
- Yu-Jen (Evangeline) Dai, from Faith Chinese Fellowship, Bellaire is studying at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary.
- Nicholaus Chove, from UMOJA Swahili Church in Houston, is attending Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary. He is in candidacy in the North Texas North Louisiana Synod.
- Mary Button (Pastor Mike Button’s daughter, Metro New York Synod) is attending United Lutheran Seminary.
Nicholaus (center) with Florida/Bahamas Bishop Pedro Suarez (right):
L-R: Cody Miller, Cassie Nagle, Mike Rinehart, Evangeline Dai:
Mary Button with her father, Pastor Mike Button:
L-R: Bishop Jon Anderson with Mary Button and Mike Button, who was Jon’s internship supervisor:
Another awesome creative leader in the church, Jonathan Rundman:
The women of the ELCA Conference of Bishops. (Missing is Idalia Negrón of the Caribbean Synod.):