Racism is power plus prejudice. It takes many forms. There is conscious bigotry, that sees people of color as lesser beings and seeks to exclude, and there is unconscious bias, that wishes well for others, but nevertheless continues to participate in and even support institutional structures that offer privileges to some over others.
Here are some resources on racism to consider. Many thanks to Rozella White and Ele Clay for their assistance.
- I’m Still Here: Black Identity in a World Made for Whiteness, by Austin Channing Brown
- Disunity in Christ: Uncovering the Hidden Forces that Keep Us Apart, by Christena Cleveland
- The Cross and the Lynching Tree, by James Cone
- White Awake: An Honest Look at What It Mean to be White, by Daniel Hill
- The Power of Proximity, by Michelle Warren
- SURJ: Showing Up for Racial Justice is a network of groups and individuals organizing for racial justice.
- The RACE Project (UnderstandingRace.org) explains the differences among people, and explains the reality – and myths – of race.
ELCA Social Statement: Freed in Christ: Race, Ethnicity, and Culture
Freed in Christ: Race, Ethnicity, and Culture expresses the ELCA’s calling to celebrate culture and ethnicity. This calling commits the ELCA to confront racism, to engage in public leadership, witness and deliberation on these matters, and to advocate for justice and fairness for all people. This statement was adopted by the 1993 ELCA Churchwide Assembly. This page will take you to a page where you can download the statement and order paper copies. It also has links to a study guide, an introduction and a summary.
Bishop Mike posts
- A letter in solidarity with the Sandra Bland Vigil Participants
- The Wall on our Southern Border is Built on Racism and a Myth
- Racism in the Confederate States
- Race and the Gospel
- Facing Race – the largest multiracial, inter-generational gathering for organizers, educators, creatives and other leaders. (https://facingrace.raceforward.org)
- RaceForward – The center for racial justice innovation (https://www.raceforward.org)
- What is systemic racism? https://www.raceforward.org/videos/systemic-racism
- Intergroup Resources – Online resource center (http://www.intergroupresources.com)
- Colorlines – Colorlines is a daily news site featuring investigative reporting and news analysis from the perspective of communities of color (https://www.colorlines.com)
- Safety Pin Box – a monthly subscription box for white people striving to be allies in the fight for Black Liberation (https://www.safetypinbox.com)
- Austin Channing Brown – http://austinchanning.com
- Equal Justice Initiative – The Equal Justice Initiative s committed to ending mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the United States, to challenging racial and economic injustice, and to protecting basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society. (https://eji.org)
- Ted Talks on Race – https://www.ted.com/topics/race